Project Examples
Larson Fisher Associates

123456

ISRAEL & JAMES CRANE HOUSE EXISTING CONDITIONS REPORT
Montclair, Essex County, New Jersey

Team: Neil Larson
Client: Montclair Historical Society
Date: April 2005

The Montclair Historical Society was created in 1965 around the effort to save, move and restore this distinctive and rare (in this area) example of Greek Revival-style architecture. Israel Crane, a descendant of one of Newark's founding families, built the house in the 1790s, and his son ,James, renovated the exterior and first-floor rooms inside in the Greek Revival taste around 1840. The Society has embarked on the development of a historically appropriate furnishing plan for the house. As a preliminary step in this process, NLA was hired to prepare a report on the existing historical conditions of the building. In addition to assessing the physical features of the house, Neil Larson is also developing an overview of the architecture of Newark and its surrounding towns to place the two stages of the Crane house into context.

Contact: Alicia Shattemann, Executive Director, Montclair Historical Society, 973-783-9419


DESIGN GUIDELINES FOR COLONIAL TERRACES NEIGHBORHOOD
Newburgh, Orange County, New York

Team: Jill Fisher
Client: City of Newburgh, New York
Date: June 2005

The Colonial Terraces neighborhood in Newburgh, New York was developed in 1917 as a planned community. Its designer, Henry Wright, was also one of the designers of the landmark planned community, Radburn, New Jersey, developed a decade later. In recognition of its significance, the City of Newburgh designated Colonial Terraces an architectural review district, thus requiring owners contemplating alterations to their houses to obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness from the City's Architectural Review Commission (ARC) before proceeding with work. Despite an earlier study, no design guidelines had been adopted to guide the ARC's review and decisions. The goal of this project was to come up with a clear set of design guidelines that would reflect the historic importance of the neighborhood, ensure its preservation for future generations, and inform residents and property owners within the district as to appropriate and approvable changes. One innovation introduced was a list of "pre-approved" items so that the review process could be streamlined in order to address residents' concerns with delays in making emergency repairs, such as replacing blown-off storm doors.

Contact: Jean Ann McGrane, City Manager, Newburgh, NY 845-569-7301
jmcgrane@mail.cityofnewburgh-ny.gov


EZEKIEL ELTING HOUSE HISTORIC STRUCTURE REPORT
New Paltz, Ulster County, New York

Team: Neil Larson , LFA, Ted Bartlett, Crawford & Stearns Architects, Syracuse, NY
Client: Huguenot Historical Society, New Paltz, NY
Date: September 2005

Built in 1799, the Ezekiel Elting House was one of the first houses built after the Revolutionary War in the old Huguenot village of New Paltz, and it illustrates the process by which the regional stone architecture began to accommodate more contemporary and generalized house forms and decorative styles. Ezekiel Elting was a merchant, and he incorporated shop and warehouse space into the plan of the house. This created an unusual pattern of spaces behind the otherwise orderly street facade. Yet, looks are deceiving. The house had the town's only gambrel roof until the 1870s when Victorian changes, since removed, were made. Efforts to restore the house to a more Federal Period appearance in the 20th century have removed and obscured evidence of earlier stages. Neil Larson and Ted Bartlett have gone great lengths to recover physical and documentary evidence of the original conditions.

Contact: Jack Braunlein, Executive Director, Huguenot Historical Society, New Paltz, NY 845-255-1660


MAXON MILLS NATIONAL REGISTER NOMINATION
Wassaic, Town of Amenia, Dutchess County, New York

Client: Wassaic Historical Agriculture Crossroads, Inc.
Team: Neil Larson & Jill Fisher
Date: June 2005

The Maxon Mills Feed Elevator is a rare surviving example of a small commercial feed supply enterprise that provided individualized feed supplements to dairy farms in eastern New York and western New England. After World War II scientific methods were applied to crop and dairy herd management in the region, and Maxon Mills filled the niche of delivering nutritious feed supplements that were not available on the farm. Erected in 1955, the eight-story elevator contains a total of 58 bins of various sizes constructed with solid walls of stacked planks. LFA wrote and defended a National Register nomination for this unusual resource. Broader architectural and historic contexts needed to be developed for the structure, and since parts were built after 1955, it needed to be shown to be of exceptional significance. In the face of local opposition to preserving the elevator, LFA worked diligently with its client to ensure the nomination progressed to a successful listing.

Contact: Sharon Kroeger, Chair, Wassaic Historical Agriculture Crossroads, Inc.,
845-373-7735 or 845-373- 9201

123456

top